While its easy to think that brushing and flossing are enough in terms of taking care of your teeth, many of the foods we consume on a daily basis are often harmful for them. Here’s a quick look at some foods to avoid when it comes to taking care of your teeth.
- Dried Fruit: Dried fruits are actually very high in sugar, which can get stuck in between teeth and stay for hours, causing tooth decay.
- Pickles: The acid that is contained in vinegar (essential to the pickling process) wears away the enamel of your teeth, and causes staining.
- Wine: Red and white wines contain erosive acid, which softens tooth enamel. Tannins, an element found in red wine, dies out the mouth and can stain the teeth.
- Chewy and Hard Candies: Chewy candies can stick to your teeth for a long time, allowing bacteria to feed off of the sugar. While hard candies won’t stick to your teeth, they do take a while to dissolve in your mouth. During this time the sugar in the candy sticks to the teeth, causing damage to the enamel.
- Fruit Juices: Acidic fruit juices can raise the level of acid in your mouth, eating away at your tooth enamel. Some juices, such as cranberry juice, can be just as acidic as vinegar.